- compiled by Steven Farkas email@example.com - if you have any additions or comments on this discography please E-mail.
News, Notes, and other Useless things
Here's a couple of hints to anyone who is just starting to collect SA stuff. First, beware of any bootlegs that are listed only as 'Live USA 1993'. This is more than likely their Westwood One Radio-show recorded in Ventura, California. There are at least 5 different bootlegs on different labels that I know of that are all this particular show. I have some of them listed here, but I am sure there are more out there. For reference, check the track listing on 'Body and Soul' in the bootleg section of this discog, and compare the tracks. Hint number 2 is about the single for 'Misery'. There are five different versions that I know of. The best one to get is the US limited Edition. It has 5 tracks, 3 of which are new. The other versions contain only album tracks. If you cannot find the 5 track, then settle for the two track. There is no point buying them all, unless you are a fanatical collector as I am. If anyone sees anything on this discog that they would like copies of, I own 98% of it, so drop me some E-mail and I'm sure we can work out a trade or something. Enjoy... More hints: There is a version of LYDLS that is being advertised on many on-line stores that is Japanese and comes with bonus tracks. This is a little deceiving as there is only one bonus track, which is 'hope' and it is available as a B-side on most of the cdsingles for 'misery'. This version also comes with a sticker which is the cover of LYDLS, as well as the lyrics for 'hope' and all the lyrics for LYDLS in Japanese. This item is rather expensive, and not really worth the cash, unless you are determined to get everything.
Say What You Will...Anything Can Happen --
Catalog # TTR 8439-4 Released: September 1984 Label: Twin/tone Records
- This original 9 track EP contains: Long day/ Voodoo doll/ Money talks/Stranger/ Sick of that song/ Walking/ Happy/ Black and blue / Religiavision. - Available on Cassette and 12" only.
-- Say What You Will Clarence...Karl Sold the truck --
Catalog # TTR 8439 Released: 1984 Label: Twin/Tone Records - This 14 track version includes 5 extra tracks that were recorded during the Say What You Will sessions, but didn't show up on the first release. This version contains an alternate version of 'Black and blue' which was recorded during the first ever Loud Fast Rules sessions by Bob Caine in 1981. The Track Listing for this release is: Dragging me down/ Long day/ Money talks/ Voodoo doll/ Stranger/ Do You Know/ Sick of that song/ Religiavision/ Spacehead / Walking/ Broken glass/ Masquerade/ Happy/ Black and blue. - Available on CD, Cassette, and 12".
-- Made to be Broken --
Catalog # TTR 8666-2 Released: January 1986 Label: Twin/Tone
- Track listing for this release is: Tied to the tracks/ Ship of fools/ Can't go back/ Another world,another day/ Made to be broken/ Never really been/ Whoa!/ New Feelings/ Growing Pain/ Long way home/ Lone rider/ Ain't that tough/ Don't it(make your troubles seem small). - Available on CD, Cassette, and 12".
-- Time's Incinerator --
Catalog # TTR 8677C Released: July 1986 Label: Twin/Tone
- This 20 track compilation includes demos, studio outtakes, and live tracks from 1981-86. Tracks are: Dragging me down/ Freeway/ Broken glass/ Goin' down/ The snake/ Hot pants/ Job for me/ Swingin'/ Take it to the root/ Fearless/ Do you know/ spacehead/ Cocaine blues/ Out of style/ Nowhere to go/ Hey bird/ Friends/ Ramblin' rose/ Your clock/ Masquerade/ Soul Asylum. - Cassette only.
-- While You Were Out --
Catalog # TTR 8691-2 Released: November 1986 Label: Twin/Tone
- Track listing: Freaks/ Carry on/ No man's land/ Crashing down / The judge/ Sun Don't Shine/ Closer to the stars/ Never too soon/ Miracle mile/ Lap of luxury/ Passing sad daydream. - Available on CD, Cassette, 12" and special Green Vinyl edition which is available through the fan club.
-- Hang Time --
Catalog # CD 5197/DX 3114 Released: May 1988 Label: A&M/Twin/Tone
- The band's major label debut and arguably their best album to date. Track listing: Down on up to me/ Little too clean/ Sometime to return/ Cartoon/ Beggars and choosers/ Endless farewell/ Standing in the doorway/ Marionette/ Ode/ Jack of all trades/ Twiddly Dee/ Heavy Rotation, plus bone-us track Put the bone in. - Available on CD, Cassette, and 12".
-- Clam Dip and Other Delights --
Catalog # TTR 88744-2 Released: April 1988 Label: Twin/Tone
- This is the band's last release for their original label, Twin/Tone. If you do not know the story behind the cover and sleeve of this album, check the Soul Asylum Web page. Tracks: Just plain evil/ Chains/ Secret no more/ Artificial heart/ P-9/ Take it to the root. - Available on CD, cassette, and 12".
-- Soul Asylum and The Horse They Rode In On --
Catalog # 75021-5318-2 Released: August 1990 Label: A&M/Twin/Tone
- Recorded live in the studio to try and harness the group's live sound, the album went nowhere fast, and were consequently dumped by A&M. Tracks: Spinnin'/ Bitter pill/ Veil of tears/ Nice guys (don't get paid)/ Something out of nothing/ Gullible's Travels/ Brand new shine/ Easy street/ Grounded/ Be on your way/ We 3/ All the king's friends. - Available on CD, cassette, and 12".
-- Grave Dancers Union --
Catalog # CK 48898 Released: September 1992 Label: Columbia/Sony Music
- Their most successful album to date. Tracks: Somebody to shove/ Black gold/ Runaway train/ Keep it up/ Homesick/ Get on out/ New World/ April Fool/ Without a trace/ growing into you/ 99%/ The Sun Maid. - Available on CD, DCC, Cassette, Mini-Disc and 12".
-- Let Your Dim Light Shine -- Catalog # CK 57616 Released: June 1995 Label: Columbia/Sony Music
- The new album which sees the band take another step away from guitar driven punk-pop, to acoustic folk. Tracks include: Misery/ Shut down/ To my own devices/ Hopes up/ Promises broken/ Bittersweetheart/ String of pearls/ Crawl/ Caged rat/ Eyes of a child/ Just like anyone/ Tell me when/ Nothing to write home about/ I did my best. - Available on CD, Cassette, 12".
Let Your Dim Light Shine + Bonus Track ______________________________________
Catalog: SRCS 7716 Released: June, 1995 Label: Columbia/Sony Music
- This version of the new album contains all the tracks on the domestic release of LYDLS, plus the bonus track 'hope'. This version also comes with a sticker portraying the album cover, as well as an insert with lyrics in Japanese, and the Lyrics to 'Hope' in English.
-- Tied to the tracks/ Long way home -- Catalog # TTR 8560 Released: November 1985 Label: Twin/Tone
- The band's first ever 7". If you have a copy of it, consider yourself lucky. It comes in a picture sleeve, with a close up of an eye on the front, with the outline of a family in a park. It has 'Soul Asylum' written over the top in green letters.
-- Sometime to Return --
Catalog # AMY 447 Released: 1988 Label: A&M/Twin/Tone
- The B-sides on this 12" Single are Put The Bone In and Marionette. The version of Sometime to Return is the radio-edited 'clean' version.
-- Cartoon --
Catalog # AMY 463 Released: 1988 Label: A&M/Twin/Tone
- The B-sides on this 12" are Twiddly Dee and Standing in the Doorway. When listing the band members' names, they misprinted Dave's name as Piner.
-- Somebody to shove -- cdsingle(US)
Catalog # 658452-2 Released: March 1993 Label: Columbia/Sony Music
- This 4 track single has all 4 of the guys' drivers licenses on the cover, with a dark beige background. The B-sides are Somebody to shove(Live in Ventura, Calif)/ Runaway Train(Live in Ventura, Cal)/ By the Way(Demo).
-- Somebody to Shove -- cdsingle(UK)
Catalog # 659649-2 Released: March 1993 Label: Columbia/Sony Music
- This single contains the same tracks as the US version, but the cover art is different. This one has has a blue cover with a group shot in the middle and the lyrics for Somebody to Shove scrawled all over.
-- Somebody To Shove -- Ltd. Edition cdsingle(UK)
Catalog # 660224-2 Released: 1993 Label: Columbia/Sony Music
- This 4 track single has the same cover as the US version, but it is a digi-pack. The B-sides are: Somebody to Shove(unplugged)/ Stranger(unplugged)/ Without a Trace(Live in Ventura, Cal).
-- Somebody to Shove -- 12" single(UK)
Catalog# 659649-6 Released: 1993 Label: Columbia/Sony Music
- The cover of this 12" is purple, but is otherwise the same as the standard UK single. The tracks are all the same, but the poster sleeve folds out to a really cool picture of the group.
-- Black Gold -- cdsingle(UK)
Catalog # 659088-2 Released: 1993 Label: Columbia/Sony Music
- This 4 track single contains a picture disc(a photo of JFK) and the cover is grey and black with a photo of JFK stuck in the middle. B-sides are: Black Gold(Live)/ The Break/ 99%. There is a US version of this single that is almost the same, except 99% is left off.
-- Black Gold- The Gold Edition -- cdsingle(UK)
Catalog # 659844-5 Released: 1993 Label: Columbia/Sony Music
- The cover of this 4 track single is one half gold, the other half is the cover of Grave Dancers, with the lyrics to Black Gold scrawled over top. The B-sides are: Black Gold(Live in Dallas, Tx)/ Runaway Train(Live in Ventura, Cal)/ Somebody to Shove(Live in Ventura, Cal).
-- Black Gold -- 7" single(Holland)
Catalog # 659844-7 Released: 1993 Label: Columbia/Sony Music
- The cover of this 7" is very similar to the cover of the Gold edition, but the top is black. It contains a radio edit of Black Gold , and Somebody to Shove(Unplugged).
-- Runaway Train -- cdsingle(US)
Catalog # 44K-74947 Released: June 1993 Label: Columbia/Sony Music
- The cover of this 5 track single is a distorted picture of a derailed train. The B-sides include: Black Gold(Live in Dallas)/ Never Really Been(Live in Austin)/ By the Way/ Everybody Loves A Winner. The re is another version of this single with the exact cover, but omits Black Gold(live).
-- Runaway Train -- 12"single(UK)
Catalog # 659390-8 Released: June 1993 Label: Columbia/Sony Music
- The cover of this 12" is the same as the cdsingle, but this 12" comes with a promo poster. It includes all the tracks from the cdsingle except Everybody Loves A Winner.
-- Runaway Train -- 12"single special edition(UK)
Catalog # 659390-6 Released: June 1993 Label: Columbia/Sony Music
- This special edition 12" has the same cover and tracks as the previous 12", but it comes on blue vinyl.
-- Without a Trace -- cdsingle(US)
Catalog # 659580-2 Released: August 1993 Label: Columbia/Sony Music
- This 4 track singles' cover shows a live shot of Dave on his back, with Dan kneeling beside him. This single contains a radio edit of Without a Trace/ Closer to the Stars(unplugged)/ Somebody to Shove(unplugged)/ Square Root.
-- Can't Even Tell -- cdsingle(Australia)
Catalog # 661128-2 Released: 1994 Label: Columbia/Sony Music
- This cdsingle comes in a cardboard sleeve, with a picture of the band suitably blurred, so we 'can't even tell' what it's supposed to be. The B-sides are: Somebody to Shove(Live in Ventura)/ Runaway Train(Live in Ventura)/ and 3 lines from the movie 'Clerks'. 'Can't Even Tell' is also available on the soundtrack for the motion picture 'Clerks'. (Grant Young's last recorded work with the band-ed.)
-- Misery -- cdsingle(US)
Catalog # 38K 77959 Released: June 1995 Label: Columbia/Sony Music
- This singles' cover is a young girl sitting in an almost abandoned classroom, with what looks to be a cone over her head. This is only a 2 track single, but it's worth it just to hear the B-side, 'Hope'.
-- Misery -- Ltd. Edition cdsingle(US) Catalog # 33K-77960 Released: June 1995 Label: Columbia/Sony Music
- The cover of this single is exactly as above, but this is a 5 track single. The B-sides are: Hope/ Fearless Leader/ You'll live for now/ Summer of Drugs.
-- Misery -- (US cdsingle)
Catalog #661499-2 Released: June 1995 Label: Columbia/Sony Music
- This single comes in a thin jewel case, and has B-sides: String of Pearls/ Caged Rat/ I did my Best, all album versions.
-- Misery -- (UK cdsingle)
Catalog #662109-2 Released: June 1995 Label: Columbia/Sony Music
- This singles' cover is the same as all the others, but has a different track listing: Misery/ String of Pearls/ Hope(demo)/ I Did My Best. Don't let the Demo label fool you, this version of 'Hope' is the same as on the other singles. It is just an underhanded marketing ploy, which, unfortunately, I succumbed to.
-- Misery -- (UK ltd. Edition, numbered 7")
Catalog # 662109 7 released: June 1995 Label: Columbia/Sony Music
This Limited Edition 7" on white vinyl comes in a plastic slip cover, with a cardboard insert that slides in behind the record, and it is darks gray, with random lyrics from 'misery' scrawled all over it. The back cover, is exactly like the inside cover of any of the cdsingles. The B-Side is String of Pearls.
-- Just Like Anyone -- (UK cdsingle)
Catalog # 662478 5 Released: November 1995 Label: Columbia/Sony Music
This single's cover is all white, as it shows a young child bundles in winter gear lying in the snow. The B-sides are the same as on the Misery Ltd. Edition; 'Fearless Leader', and 'You'll Live for Now'.
-- Just Like Anyone -- (UK cdsingle)
Catalog # 662478 2 Released: November 1995 Label: Columbia/Sony Music
The cover of this single is very similar to the previous one, but instead of the picture being centred on the child, it is off-centre, and we can only see half the childs body. The B-Sides on this single are 'Get on Out' and 'Do Anything You Wanna Do', both recorded live at the Paradise,in Boston April 6, 1995.
-- Promises Broken -- (UK cdsingle)
Catalog # 662599 2 Released: December 1995 Label: Columbia/Sony Music
The cover of this single is based on a movie advertisement. In the middle there is a half black and white, half colour picture of a man and a woman. It has written 'Soul Asylum, starring in the not-quite classic..Promises Broken'. The B-sides are: A remix of 'Promises Broken', and 'Can't Even Tell' and 'String of Pearls' recorded live at the Aragon Ballrool in Chicago, August 8,1995.
Standing in the Doorway/ James at 16 -- 12" promo(US)
Catalog # Released: 1988 Label: A&M/Twin/Tone
- This promo also contains a medley of cover tracks done live and spontaneously by the band
-- Just Plain Evil/ Goin' Down -- 7" promo(UK)
Catalog # Progo 6 Released: 1988] Label: What Goes On records
-- Cartoon -- cdpromo(US)
Catalog # CD 17574 Released: 1988 Label: A&M/Twin/Tone
- This 1 track promo comes in a regular jewel case. The cover has a cartoon picture of a man in bed watching TV, with a monster coming out of a hole in the floor.
-- Easy Street -- cdpromo(US)
Catalog # 75021 7429-2 Released: 1990 Label: A&M/ Twin/Tone
- This 1 track promo comes with a then jewel case, and the cover has a faded picture of an old western town, and a full colour picture of Grant sitting on a sawhorse.
-- Spinnin' -- cdpromo(US)
Catalog # 75021 7423-2 Released: 1990 Label: A&M/Twin/Tone
- This 1 track promo has no cover, it comes in a generic cd bag.
-- Something Out Of Nothing -- Remix Cdpromo/12"promo
Catalog: 75021-7498-2 Released:1990 Label: A&M/Twin/tone
- This promo is available on 12" or cd and contains a remix of Something Out Of Nothing with B-sides: Freaks( Live)/ To Sir With Love (Live)/ Marionette(Live). The live tracks were recorded in Ann Arbour and in Minneapolis in 1990.
-- 99% -- 12" promo
Catalog # XSS 4731A Label: Columbia/Sony Music Released: 1993
- This 12" promo comes with B-sides: Somebody to Shove and Track of my Tears(Live). This promo is one-sided. The other side is etched with 'Soul Asylum' and 'Grave Dancers Union'. It comes in a plain white sleeve, with the label being the cover from 'Grave Dancers'.
-- Somebody to Shove -- cdpromo(US)
Catalog # PRO 739 Released: 1992 Label: Columbia/Sony Music
- This 1 track promo comes with a cardboard sleeve which is all a dark beige, with the band and track name in black.
-- Somebody to Shove --
Catalog # Released: 1992 Label: Columbia/Sony Music
- This is also a one-track promo, but this comes with a picture insert in a regular jewel case.
-- Black Gold -- cdpromo(US)
Catalog # CSK 4910 Released: 1993 Label: Columbia/Sony Music
- This promo comes with 4 versions of Black gold. The album version, a live version, and 2 edited versions. It comes in a regular jewel case with the same cover as the UK version of the single.
-- Without a Trace --
Catalog # Released: 1993 Label: Columbia/Sony Music
- This is also a one track promo, and it comes with a picture insert in a regular jewel case.
-- Summer of Drugs -- cdpromo(US)
Catalog # CSK 5260 Released: 1993 Label: Thirsty Ear/Chaos/Columbia/Sony Music
- This 1 track promo comes in a regular jewel case, and the front cover is a close up shot of a bundle of strawberries. This track is also available on the compilation 'Sweet Relief: A Benefit for Victoria Williams'.
-- Misery -- cdpromo
Catalog #CSK 7080 Released: June 1995 Label: Columbia/ Sony Music
- This promo comes in a regular jewel case, with the same cover as the single. It contains 2 versions of 'Misery'; the album version, and a radio edit version, which is about 30 seconds shorter.
-- Just Like Anyone -- cdpromo
Catalog # Released: November 1995 Label: Columbia/Sony Music
- This 1-track promo comes with a unique picture insert, as well as a unique picture-disc.
Flexi-Discs, and Other Such Oddities
-- Black Gold -- (Live)
- Given away as a promo flexi-disc with an issue of 'The Bob' magazine. I am not sure of the date of this release, but I will put it up as soon as I find out.
-- Crawl -- ( album version )
- Included on a cassette sampler with the June/July 1995 issue of CJ magazine.
-- Insomniac's Dream -- cdpromo(Canada+Europe only)
Catalog # CDNK 918 released: 1994 Label: Sony Music
- This 6 track EP comes in a thin jewel case with a picture disc. This was also released as a Ltd. Edition EP in Canada. The only difference is that the Ltd. Edition comes with a full jewel case. Tracks include: Somebody to Shove(unplugged)/ Stranger(unplugged)/ Without a Trace(Live in Ventura)/ Black Gold(Live in Dallas)/ Never Really Been(Live in Dallas)/ Runaway Train(Live in Ventura).
-- Soul Asylum and The Horse They Rode In On -- cdpromo(US)
Catalog # 75021-8053-2 Released: 1990 Label: A&M/Twin/Tone
- This disc contains all the tracks on the legit release of 'Horse', as well as three bonus tracks. It comes in a generic cd bag, with an A&M sticker with the track listing on the back. The bonus tracks are: One Way Conversation/ Little House On The Edge/ Village Idiot.
-- Soul Asylum and The Horse They Rode In On -- 12"
Catalog #75021-5318-7 Released: 1991 Label: A&M/Twin/Tone
- This promo contains all the tracks on the standard release, but this is a special edition on blue vinyl.
-- While You Were Out -- 12" White Label Promo(UK)
Catalog # Goes On 16 Released:1988 Label: What Goes On Records
- This white label promo contains all the tracks on 'While You Were Out 'and comes with a Cartel New Release Sheet, as well as a promo glossy of the band circa 1986.
-- Get On Out --
Catalog # SE 342 Released: 1993 Label: Bundy Records
- This Bootleg contains 14 tracks. To sir with love/ Closer to the stars/ Ooh La la Song/ Get on out/ New World/ and Black Gold are all from the unplugged in New York sessions. Runaway Train/ Spinnin'/ Somebody to shove/ April fool/ Sexual healing/ And 99% are from the show in Ventura, Calif. The last track is an acoustic version of Runaway Train.
-- Runaway Child --
Catalog # CL 7903 Released: 1993 Label: Clinton Records
- This Bootleg contains 11 tracks. It also contains 6 tracks from the unplugged sessions: Runaway Train/ Somebody to shove/ To sir with love/ Closer to the stars/ Ooh La la Song. The other 5 tracks; Somebody to shove/ Black gold/ Don't Stop/ April fool/ Runaway Train(acoustic) are from another show Live USA '93.( MTV's Spring Break Concert-ed.)
-- Off The Stage --
Catalog # EXX 52516 Released: 1993 Label: ADD Records
- This boot contains 15 tracks. The first three; Black Gold/ April fool/ and Somebody to shove were recorded Live USA '93(different than Runaway Child). The last 12 tracks are outtakes and demos from the Grave Dancers sessions. Tracks are: Black Gold/ Square Root/ By the way/ 99%/ Thick and Thin/ New world/ Get on out/ Runaway train/ Growing into you/ Easy to avoid/ Some obsession/ Straight up.
-- The Platinum Punks --
Catalog # OCTO 009 Released: 1994 Label: Octopus Records
- This boot was recorded during the 'Alternative Nation' Tour of Europe. The Tracks are: Without a trace/ Something out of nothing/ Cartoon/ Veil of Tears/ Keep it up/ Get on out/ Black Gold/ April Fool/ Sometime to return/ Runaway train/ Freebird/ Ramblin' Rose/ Somebody to Shove/ 99%/ Stranger/ Hope.
-- Body and Soul --
Catalog # KTS 195 Released: 1993 Label: Kiss The Stone Records
- A warning to all those looking for boots. There are about 6 different bootlegs out there with different covers and names, but they are all of the Ventura, California show. It was a Westwood One radio show, so there are copies everywhere. Be very wary of bootlegs labelled Live USA 1993.
-- Train Kept A-Rollin' --
Catalog # IBR 2345 Released: Label: International Broadcast Recordings
- This boot has 19 tracks, the first five; Runaway train/ Black gold/ Grounded/ Without a trace/ and New world are from the unplugged sessions in NY. The last 14 tracks were recorded at the Orpheum in Chicago on June 24/88. The tracks are: Sometime to return/ Little too clean/ Closer to the stars/ Growing pain/ Standing in the doorway/ Cartoon/ Right place, wrong time/ Marionette/ Beggars and choosers/ Ode / Never really been/ Another world,Another day/ Sexual healing/ Freaks.
(The 88 show is from Boston 6-24-88 and missing a few songs that circulate on tape, including Sonic Reducer, Woah, & Chevy Van, and is not Chicago -ed)
-- Get Your tape decks Up --
Catalog # IBR 2295 Released: Label: International Broadcast Recordings
- This boot also contains 5 tracks from unplugged: Get on out/ Without a trace/ Never really been/ Somebody to shove and Closer to the stars. The other 12 tracks were recorded at the Top Note in Chicago, April 1991. This is Dave and Dan doing one of their famous acoustic shows. Tracks: Pretty boy Floyd/ Wandering eyes/ Bird on a wire/ Ship of fools/ Twiddly Dee/ New world/ Never really been/ stranger/ Black gold/ P-9/ Grounded/ Runaway train.
( The 91 show is the FM Top Note show and also is missing a few songs that are available on tape, Sonic Reducer (acoustic) being one of them)-ed)
-- The Lost Album --
Catalog # MO 10004 Released: 1993 Label: Mo Records
- Recorded Live USA 1993. I know for a fact this is not Ventura.
-- Natural Acoustic Beacon --
Catalog # SC 52013 Released: 1993 Label: Sugar Cane Records
- Recorded Live in NY, July 2/93.
-- New World --
Catalog # NG 39109-3 Released: 1993 Label: Not Guilty Records
- Live in Ventura, California.
-- On The Run --
Catalog # Released: 1993 Label: POMPEJI Records
- Recorded Live in Kansas City, 1993. This is exactly the same as 'Runaway Child', only on a different label. I found this out the hard way.(Runaway Child is not Kansas City-ed.)
-- Runaway Train --
Catalog # MMR 9312 Released: Label: MMR Records
- Yet another copy of Ventura, California.
-- We're the Opening Band --
Catalog # Hawk 014 Released: Label: Hawk Records
- Recorded Live in the USA, 1993( Hello Ventura?? )
-- USA 1993 --
Catalog # RFCD 1294 Released: Label: Rarities and Few Records
-- Time Makes You Change --
Catalog # VSP 51006-7 Released: Label: Vivd Sound Product
- This bootleg contains both Chicago shows from '88 and '91( from Get Your Tape Decks Up, and Train kept a Rollin') plus 5 unplugged tracks.
(The 88 show is from Boston 6-24-88 and missing a few songs that circulate on tape, including Sonic Reducer, Woah, & Chevy Van, and is not Chicago. The 91 show is the FM Top Note show and also is missing a few songs that are available on tape, Sonic Reducer (acoustic) being one of them)-ed)
Set Me Free
recorded live at the Glastonbury Festival 23.06.95 Label/Cat No: KTS 467
Year: 1995 Length: 40:00
Other (un)interesting facts:
- The liner notes compare SA to Bon Jovi (eech!). I guess it was meant as a compliment, the writer says he can't understand why they are not as popular as Bon Jovi when the music is so similar (' ... but Soul Asylum have no signs of fakeness about them'). I still say 'eech!'
It's a GREAT very inspired show. It sounds like for FM or something professional. Just an inspired performance-LEE
-- It's Not My Fault --
- Available on CD/ Cassette/ 12" on the A&M compilation 'Free To Be...A Family' Released: October 1988
-- Barstool Blues --
- Available on 12" on the compilation ' From the Bridge '. Released: May 1989
-- Just Plain Evil --
- Available on 12" from the soundtrack for the motion picture 'Lost Angels'. Released: May 1989
-- The Break --
- Available on CD/ Cassette on the soundtrack for the motion picture 'So I Married An Axe Murderer'. Released: 1993
-- Sexual Healing --
- Available on the compilation 'No Alternative'. It is a cover of a Marvin Gaye tune, and has been a live favourite of the band for years.
-- Can't Even Tell --
- Available on CD/ Cassette on the soundtrack for the motion picture 'Clerks'. Released: 1994
- To my knowledge Soul Asylum has never released an official concert video, so here is a listing of all the videos they have made in their career.
-- Sometime To Return --
- From the A&M release, Hang Time, circa 1988 -
-- Cartoon --
- From the A&M release, Hang Time, circa 1988 -
-- Artificial Heart --
- from the twin/tone release 'Clam Dip and other Delights', circa, 1988. I have personally never seen this vid, but I am told it is very bloody.(this was available on a Video Compilation called "Sheet Metal" and has an interview as well. And the video is quite bloody, starring Karl-ed)
-- P-9 --
- from the Twin/Tone release 'Clam Dip And other Delights', circa, 1988.
-- Easy Street --
- From the A&M release, ' Soul Asylum and the Horse They Rode In On', circa 1990.
-- Somebody to Shove --
- From the Columbia release Grave Dancers Union, circa 1992.
-- Black Gold --
- From the Columbia release Grave Dancers Union, circa 1993.
-- Runaway Train --
- From the Columbia release Grave Dancers Union, circa 1993.
-- Without A Trace --
- From the Columbia release Grave Dancer's Union, circa 1993.
-- Summer of Drugs --
- From the Chaos/Columbia compilation 'Sweet Relief, A Benefit for Victoria Williams, circa 1993.
-- Can't Even Tell --
- From the Soundtrack for the motion picture 'Clerks', circa 1994.
-- Misery --
- From the Columbia release, Let Your Dim Light Shine, circa 1995.
-- Just Like Anyone --
- From the Columbia release, Let Your Dim Light Shine, circa 1995.
-- Nature's Way --
- dave appears with Victoria Williams in a duet they did called nature's way, which I believe is on her new album.
-- Promises Broken --
- From the Columbia/Sony Music release, ' Let Your Dim Light Shine ', circa 1995.
Other Projects that SA Members Have Been Involved In ____________________________________________________
-- Dave was a large part of the soundtrack for the motion picture 'Backbeat'. He played guitar on many tracks, and sang lead on 2 tracks. He, along with members of Nirvana, the Afghan Whigs, and Sonic Youth did an admirable job of recreating classic Beatles' tracks. The Backbeat band(including Dave) performed on the MTV Movie Awards last year(Their only live performance). --
-- Dave was also a big part of Victoria Williams' new album, doing a lot of guitar work and providing background vocals, as well as co-writing a couple of tunes with her. The two also performed live together on the Letterman show last year. --
-- Dave also played on the new Mike Watt album. Mike Watt is known as an American Punk pioneer. I believe that Dave only played guitar, but I may be wrong. --
-- Dave and Dan were part of a collaboration with members of the Jayhawks( Gary Louris, Marc Perlman), Run Westy Run(Kraig Johnson), and the Replacements(Chris Mars) called Golden Smog. They recorded a 6 track cd EP in the late 80's which were all covers of 70's AM radio hits. Apparently they have recorded an all original album due for release for late-summer-fall on Rykodisc. Dan Murphy represents SA on this album. --
-- The Golden Smog album has since been released. It is titled 'Down by the Old Mainstream'. Do not look on the album hoping to find Dan or Dave's name on it, as all the members use pseudonyms. Dan plays on all of the tracks, and Dave guests as a vocalist on a couple of tracks. --
People Who Deserve their Due.. ______________________________
- I would like to thank Ron in Minneapolis for the help with the vids and the Golden Smog info -
- I would also like to thank Terry in Omaha, NE for his help with certain promos(yeah, you know the one!)
- I would like to thank Brian Ottens for his help with the Black Gold Flexi-disc and the info about Crawl on the CMJ Sampler.
- If anyone out there is looking to trade for Soul Asylum shows from the early 80's to now, try these 2 guys:
If anybody has anything to add here, please mail me!!! -
Thanks for looking,
Updated info and graphics by Rafs, Lee and Rob
Return To Soul Asylum Main